Our attorneys have helped report more than $1 billion in fraud to the U.S. Government and recovered over $100 million for clients in personal injury lawsuits.
We have taken on some of world’s largest corporations, including pharmaceutical manufacturers, medical device companies and insurance providers on behalf of clients. In 2016, we helped the Justice Department recover $54 million from a pharmaceutical company for violations of the Anti-Kickback Statute. We also helped personal injury clients recover millions for their injuries, including a $4.25 million settlement for a fall from a climbing wall and a $1.836 jury verdict for an employee in a slip and fall accident.
Below is a sample of cases with recoveries in various practice areas:
Our attorneys have represented numerous individuals as counsel or co-counsel who have received rewards from the U.S. Government.
- Reward for multiple whistleblowers in a $54 million Justice Department settlement with a pharmaceutical company because of kickbacks paid to doctors through their speaker programs.
- Recovery for a whistleblower in 2015 reporting customs fraud to the U.S. Government after the Department of Justice brought criminal charges against the company.
- Recovery for a relator in 2012 reporting allegations of Medicare and Medicaid fraud against a Denver hospital
- Reward of $4.5 million to an accountant who reported tax noncompliance through the Internal Revenue Service whistleblower program.
- Eric L.Young served as co-counsel on behalf of Lucia Paccione, a former Cephalon sales representative who filed a qui tam complaint reporting America’s largest biotechnology Medicaid fraud case. The case involved unlawful off-label marketing by Cephalon of drugs including Gabitril, Actiq, and Provigil. On September 29, 2008, it was announced that Ms. Paccione’s qui tam complaint led to the federal and numerous state governments’ recovery of $425 Million in a Civil Settlement.
- Attorney Brandon Lauria was co-counsel to a whistleblower reporting ocean dumping and receiving a reward of $250,000.
Medical Malpractice – Birth Injury
- $13.3 million verdict in a birth injury lawsuit because the ob/gyn failed to promptly deliver 26-week pre-term twin infants in the face of chorioamnionitis (inflammation of the fetal membranes due to a bacterial infection), resulting in neurological damage.
- $1.8 million jury verdict when a hospital delivered a child with mild cerebral palsy after they failed to transfer the mother to another facility.
- $1 million settlement for failure to timely deliver a baby under significant fetal distress.
- $7 million settlement on behalf of a 46-year-old man who suffered aortic artery damage during spinal surgery (L4-L5 laminectomy), resulting in nerve damage and necessitating extensive surgical repair.
- $3.25 million for a 16 year old patient with Down’s syndrome who suffered cardiopulmonary arrest while in treatment for leukemia.
- $2.5 million settlement on behalf of a 28-year-old woman who required emergency surgery and had permanent medical issues after a doctor failed to diagnose a huge disc herniation which evolved into cauda equina syndrome (swelling of the nerves at the end of the spinal cord).
- $2 million settlement on behalf of the family of a 55-year-old man who was misdiagnosed with gastritis (stomach irritation) at the emergency room and died overnight at home.
- A total recovery of $1.65 million in a jury verdict against an operating physician, rehab center internist and physiatrist for a 66-year-old patient who developed an infection from knee replacement surgery and subsequently developed compartment syndrome in rehabilitation.
- $1.5 million settlement on behalf of the family of a patient who died after the urologist failed to diagnose bladder cancer.
- $850,000 for a 76 year old patient who was admitted to the hospital in cardiac arrest and did not receive resuscitation according to the standard of care.
- $4.5 million settlement when a truck driver, for a company who was not in compliance with safety regulations governing hours of service for drivers, ran a stop sign and crushed the mother of a 5-year-old child.
- $2.9 million settlement for the survivors of a woman killed by a wheel that struck her vehicle after the truck driver failed to properly perform a pre-trip certification and inspection of the wheels.
- $1.8 million settlement on behalf of a 43-year-old woman that suffered traumatic injury and disability when her vehicle was struck by a tractor-trailer that crossed the center line.
Other Motor Vehicle
- $925,000 settlement for a passenger in a vehicle hit by an oncoming car when the driver went through a stop sign.
- $650,000 on behalf of a 56-year-old school teacher who sustained head and cognitive injuries in a traffic accident.
Uninsured and Underinsured Motorists
- $6 million settlement under multiple legal theories on behalf of a police officer who suffered a below-the-knee amputation when he was hit by an uninsured motorist.
- $650,000 jury verdict on behalf of a woman who suffered several foot fractures in a rear-end collision.
- Multiple policy-limit settlements in the range of $100,000 to $500,000.
- $2.5 million for a track worker struck by an oncoming train and immediately killed.
- $2 million settlement on behalf of a coach cleaner who sustained electrical burns when the safety catch failed to properly secure the pantograph on top of an MU (Multiple Unit – a type of self-propelled train carriage).
- $1.836 million jury verdict for a SEPTA employee who fell on black ice because a SEPTA sub-contractor failed to properly remove the snow and ice.
- $1.825 million settlement for a SEPTA conductor that suffered permanent injuries from an electric shock while assisting a passenger.
- $1.25 million for an injured track worker who fell into an excavation ditch.
- $1.2 million jury verdict on behalf of an employee who developed kidney disease as a result of long-term exposure to solvent products.
- $1.1 million settlement for a SEPTA mechanic struck by a falling airport ladder.
- $1 million settlement for a non-operated herniated disc sustained as a result of a fall on oil in a receiving yard.
- $950,000 for a flagman who tripped and fell on oil, breaking his foot and requiring multiple surgeries.
- $925,000 settlement on behalf of a 45-year-old pilot who sustained knee and back injuries in a crane accident.
- $875,000 settlement for a SEPTA electrician suffering a knee injury.
- $850,000 settlement for a car man who sustained thoracic outlet syndrome as a result of carrying railroad ties without proper equipment.
- $750,000 settlement under the FELA for back injuries suffered while performing an annual inspection and repair on a steam engine.
- $750,000 settlement under the FELA for a worker injured in a slip and fall at a SEPTA parking lot in the winter.
- $575,000 settlement for a railroad worker injured in a fall while working on the decking of a bridge.
- $575,000 verdict for a track worker who slipped and fell on hydraulic fluid from a leaking maintenance vehicle, requiring back surgery.
- $275,000 jury verdict for track worker who suffered a medial meniscal injury, requiring arthroscopic surgery, while climbing down from a track vehicle in poor light at night.
- Over 100 settlements & verdicts between 250,000 – 1,000,000
- $4.25 million settlement for a college freshman after a 40 foot fall from a climbing wall during a student orientation activity.
- $3.5 million on behalf of a toddler suffering permanent cognitive impairment after a three story fall at a hotel in Florida.
Bad Faith Insurance Lawsuits
- $3.5 million settlement against an insurer who exposed a dentist to a excess verdict of $4 million dollars in a dental malpractice lawsuit over trigeminal nerve damage.