There are over 200,000,000 individuals who hold a valid license in the United States. Many of those individuals drive down the same roads and have probably passed a commercial truck a time or two without any thought, but what would happen if one of those individuals were involved in an accident with a commercial truck? Would they know who to turn to for help?
Many individuals are unaware that a truck accident is different than a normal car accident. Individuals involved with an accident with a commercial vehicle and car will need to seek the legal advice and expertise of a truck accident lawyer in Pennsylvania.
The following is a brief guide that will help you on your journey in selecting a truck accident lawyer in Pennsylvania.
Who Should Consider Hiring a Truck Accident Lawyer?
Just because you have been involved in an accident that involves a commercial vehicle or truck does not mean that you would need to seek the advice of a truck accident attorney. A truck accident lawyer in Pennsylvania can only help when there is a case they believe they can take on.
The following individuals should consider seeking the advice of a truck accident lawyer:
- People who have been injured in an accident involving a commercial vehicle
- Family members of individuals who have died in a truck accident
- Passengers who were injured in a truck accident
What can a Truck Accident Lawyer in Pennsylvania do?
The United States judicial system is set up so individuals are able to file their own lawsuits. This often causes many people to wonder exactly what a truck accident lawyer in Pennsylvania can do for them.
The truth is a truck accident lawyer can do numerous things for their client. They are more than just attorneys, they are negotiators and investigators. The following is just a look at some of the roles a truck accident attorney undertakes when you become a client of theirs.
The roles a truck accident lawyer takes on include:
- Investigator – attorneys investigate the circumstances surrounding the accident, read police reports and conduct other research
- Interviewer – attorneys interview eyewitnesses and individuals involved in the accident
- Court Reporter – attorneys file and organize all paperwork involving the crash
- Negotiator – attorneys negotiate for a fair and just settlement in the event the case is handled out of court. They will also handle talks between you and your doctors in the event medical care is ongoing.
Choosing a Truck Accident Lawyer
The biggest decision you will have to make when you are involved in a truck accident is who you will choose to represent you. Open any phonebook, turn to any search engine and you will notice there are thousands of results for truck accident attorney/lawyer. This makes it difficult to choose someone to represent you.
When choosing a truck accident lawyer you will want someone who is experienced, knowledgeable, and working for you not against you. The following questions can be asked to help determine if a truck accident lawyer is right for you and your case.
The questions to ask include:
- How experienced are you with truck accident cases?
- How many truck accident cases do you handle in a year?
- Do you handle all aspects of the case or do you have a team that works for you?
- How would you handle my case if you were to take it?
- How long do you think it would take to pursue a case like mine?
- How do you get compensated?
The answers to these questions can help you determine if a truck accident attorney is right for your individual case.
In most cases, a truck accident lawyer in Pennsylvania will offer a free consultation. This consultation is offered to give you time to acquaint yourself with the attorney. It is also a time to determine if you have a legal case and how the attorney will proceed should he or she wish to pursue the case. Most experienced truck accident attorneys will offer a free consultation to anyone who believes they have a case involving a commercial vehicle or truck.
Image courtesy of ER24 EMS (Pty) Ltd. / Flickr