What should I do if I am injured on the job?


    Request and obtain medical treatment. Then, contact a union official or attorney.

    1. Keep a calm demeanor because what you do after your injury could significantly impact the outcome of your case.
    2. Request and obtain medical attention immediately.
    3. Contact a union official or union attorney right away. Photographs or evidence of the accident scene, equipment, and condition should be obtained immediately so the railroad cannot alter or change the accident scene.
    4. Consult with one of our personal injury attorneys before giving an accident report. If management threatens you, do not compromise your job — fill out the accident report “under protest,” “while hurt and waiting for medical attention” or “under influence of medication,” whichever applies.
    5. If you are forced to fill out an accident report, make sure that you list all of your injuries, no matter how small, using general terms such as “neck,” “back,” “shoulders” and “knees,” as often times the full extent of your injuries are not immediately known.
    6. Make sure all aspects of the railroad’s negligence are stated (i.e., poor lighting, oil and grease, being rushed, debris in area, wrong tool, not enough help, too heavy, no job briefing, no instruction, against CFR or railroad policy.)
    7. Make a list of any tools and equipment involved (identifying the manufacturer and model of the tools and equipment).
    8. Make a list of all witnesses.
    9. Keep copies of all paperwork (i.e. job briefings, repair forms, or inspection forms for any equipment involved).
    10. Apply for disability to the U.S. Railroad Retirement Board