Newborn Metabolic Disorder Lawsuits
It’s an unfortunate fact that many families in the U.S. are forced to pursue newborn metabolic disorder lawsuits. One might think that in today’s world the medical community would be advanced enough to prevent tragic outcomes for newborn babies. Sadly, too often this is not the case. To remedy the egregious mistakes of the medical community, victims’ families may have to file to pursue newborn metabolic disorder lawsuits in an attempt to recover their damages. Damages may be in the form of medical treatment, lifestyle adjustments, pain and suffering, and much more. At McEldrew Young Purtell, we focus a significant amount of our resources on representing families in newborn metabolic disorder lawsuits. If your newborn was misdiagnosed, or received a delayed diagnosis for a metabolic disorder, we encourage you to contact our office without delay. An attorney from our legal team will review your circumstances at no charge to help you determine your legal options.
Newborn Screening Medical Mistakes
In the U.S., children are born every year with metabolic disorders. They are also known as inborn errors of metabolism. However, such disorders are treatable in most instances if they are identified during newborn screening. Early identification is key as it allows early treatment before the condition has fully developed. This permits the newborn to grow up healthy and lead a full as well as productive life.
If a medical provider makes a mistake during the screening process, or some screening methods are not used, the child may be at risk for permanent disability prior to an accurate diagnosis. In other instances, a newborn who has a metabolic disorder may receive poor medical care and in this way is the focus of many lawsuits. McEldrew Young Purtell represents families whose newborn has suffered due to either scenario.
A Wide Range of Metabolic Disorders
One of the reasons for why newborn metabolic disorder lawsuits are so common is that there is a wide range of such diseases. If your newborn has suffered from any of the following types of metabolic disorders, McEldrew Young Purtell can represent your best interests:
- Glutaric Acidemia Type I
- Congenital Hypothyroidism
- Very Long Chain Acyl-CoA Dehydrogenase Deficiency
- Sickle Cell
- Congenital Adrenal Hyperplasia
- Propionic Acidemia
- Medium Chain Acyl-CoA Dehydrogenase Deficiency
- Maple Syrup Urine Disease
- Guanidinoacetate Methyltransferase Deficiency
- Isovaleric Acidemia
- Mitochondrial Disorders
- Methylmalonic Acidemia
- Pterin Disorders (including Sepiapterin Reductase Deficiency and DHPR Deficiency)
- Biotinidase Deficiency
Common Examples of Newborn Metabolic Disorder Lawsuits
As mentioned, there is a wide range of newborn metabolic disorders. Some of the most common lawsuits are as follows:
- The screening of the newborn was collected too soon to detect the abnormal metabolites.
- The screening of the newborn was not done at all.
- The screening of the newborn occurred after a blood transfusion which will invalidate the test.
- The screening of the newborn is delayed too long.
- The screening of the newborn was collected only after the newborn became critically ill.
If your newborn developed a metabolic disorder and you would like to know if filing one or more lawsuits is an option, contact McEldrew Young Purtell to request a free consultation.